Friday 3 October 2008

Friendship...

Friendship, its a funny thing, it truly is a gift.  Throughout my life I have been lucky enough to meet some very special people that I feel honored to be able to call my friends...
Its not very often in life you actually meet your soul mate, someone you feel really in tune with. If your very lucky you might find that its your partner, the person you share your life with on a daily basis, you create and raise your children with, or it could be a someone you played with in your back garden as a child and have grown up with.  Then again sadly you might never actually meet your soul mate.  Throughout life I have been lucky enough to have made lots of friends, I have travelled and there is something about travelling that breaks down the barriers.   I feel very blessed with my friends, I have known very lovely people in my life. 
Friends are so important in life, you know the saying 'you can pick your friends but not your family'.  Equally these friendships can leave you vulnerable and I am sure we have all been hurt by people we called friends and there is something so soul destroying about that which leaves you feeling incredibly hurt.    So to spend time with my soul mate over the last couple of weeks has been fantastic.  As I type she is up in the sky on one of several flights as she makes her way home to her own family in Australia.  Whilst our time together has been short we certainly made the most of it.  We chatted none stop, we eat great food, we walked, talked seriously, knitted and chatted some more.  The children adore her, we put the children to bed at night with silly stories told in silly voices and the children so loved it.  
So this morning we got up early (having gone to bed ridiculously late as we chatted on and on until the wee small hours) we made our way to the airport.  The airport is such a wonderful place, a place to 'people watch' and to see that there really is a lot of love in this world of ours. Only this time is was not watching people greet friends and family it was to watch them part saying their goodbyes.  
I don't know when I will see my soul mate again.  After all we could not live any further away from each other.  But I am left with some special memories.  A renewed faith in the word friendship, because when you make a best friend, you have a friend for life, if its not for life then its not a true friendship.  My soul mate is someone who just takes me for what I am, the good and the bad the rough with the smooth.   If they call me and need help I will always be there for them too.  Yes friendship really is a priceless gift.
So I have spent quality time this past two weeks, talking, shopping, knitting, sewing, trips to the hospital and talking some more.  There has been laughter and even some tears.  As a family we have all enjoyed our friend staying with us, brief as it was, special cuddles with special people...


Have a great weekend and if there is a friend you have not spoken to for a while, go on pick up the phone...


PHOTOGRAPHS
PHOTO 1  a future project in the making PHOTO 2 The knitted dress for my friends oldest child in the making PHOTO 3  selecting the fabric for the knitted dress to make the skirt, so many pretty fabrics to choose from  for a pretty little one PHOTO 4  Airport runs  PHOTO 5  Cuddles, God Mother and God Child spending some special time together

Edited to add...I apologise for the miss spelling, now corrected, thanks for making me aware...darn dyslexia!!!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to read you had such a happy time with your friend, especially after all the hard times you've had with your family recently.

That last photo is really lovely.

:)

dottycookie said...

I'm so happy for you Suzie. Your friendship sounds wonderfully strong, and must be a huge comfort to you.

And I agree with MM - the last photo is stunning.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for popping by. I shall be reading your blog when I get a minute. I read you have dyslexia so don't take this the wrong way. Your sole mate is spelt s o u l. I rather like your version though sole meaning one - i.e there is only one person that can really get to you in that way! It is nice to have a sole/soul mate isnt it! My little girl was playing a charlie and lola game on the pc when I asked to check my emails. There is some lovely airy fairy type music playing in the background to the game while I type this. It is all rather lovely. Nice to have met you! :-) Love Emma x

ginny said...

what a beautiful post. i can't agree more suzie.. friendships are so special. I too am blessed with some wonderful people in my life who i am lucky to call my friends. So pleased you had such fun. Thank goodness for the internet as we can stay in touch more easily with those special people who live so far away.
Gxx

Kitty said...

It's fabulous to read you had such a lovely time. Whe we make a 'connection' with someone it's important and shouldn't be taken for granted. Friends are some of the most important people in our lives.

x

Heart in the country said...

I glad you had such a lovely time with your friend, and of course with modern technology it is so easy to keep in touch with friends whereever in the world they are.
K

Sal said...

I'm very happy for you too,Suzie.
Glad you had such a wonderful time together. ;-)

Lindsey said...

So glad you had such a good time. Those miles between you must make every visit even more special.

Thanks for your comments over at 'mine' btw. lol. Don't worry about upsetting me - it takes a lot more than that :o) - and I have actually had the blinding flash (of inspiration), finished my swap piece and sent it off. There are several pictures of it on my Flickr site. Have a look and see what you think...
I sooooo envy you for having a camper. It is my dream to own one, and may even come true next year. I'm keeping everything crossed. :o)

MarmaladeRose said...

You are so right about true friends, I'm blessed with a couple of really great friends. Glad you had such a lovely time with yours. Thanks for stopping by my blogg. Fi x

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time with your friend, I love the way you express your feelings by written word - I read your posts and just want to go ahhh and give you a big hug
lisa x

julia said...

Sounds like you've had a great couple of weeks. Isn't it fab to have those friends you can rely on whatever happens, they make life much more fun. I'd far rather have those few true friends than surround myself with people.
Julia xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzie, we're so pleased you had such a lovely time...sounds great fun and will be marvelous to remember...what a fabulous photo of friend and child.
Margaret and Noreen

French Knots said...

True friends are so special, regardless of how far apart you live you will always have each other.
Lovely post Suze.x

ittybittyandpretty said...

thanks for visiting my blog as it has led me to yours *^_^* would you believe that my sister is in london and i am in australia a bit like you and your friend. being sisters makes our souls so close. she is 7 years older and raised me (along with my other 2 sisters) from about the age of 12. i loooovvve her and just wish she would come home. i will visit here again. xx rosey

Things Hand Made said...

Its nice to have someone out there that you have such a connection with. Lovely photos

Linda said...

Whta a lovely time you had, it must have been sad saying goodbye.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Awww, how special! That is so fantastic to have a friend mean so much that you're willing to fly around the world to see that person. Incredibly priceless.

Jane said...

Never mind the spelling, its good to know you've had a good time with your very bestest friend. jane x

dutchcomfort said...

What a wonderful post Suzie! Friendship with a soulmate is very special!

Anonymous said...

Sounds fabulous! (other than the parting) I have a soul mate like this too and even though life circumstances for both of us make it hard to catch up often when we do it is like wearing an old comfortable pair of jeans - we just click and meld and fit! I hope you get to have more fun with your friend soon!!

Pinkflowerbuttons said...

What a lovely written post. Its true isnt it and I think the more we go on in this life and the less people we may seem to not connect with the more we appreciate the ones we have.

Pinkflowerbuttons said...

lovely photos.

Pinkflowerbuttons said...

Oh and I forgot LOVE the top photo - duck ribbon and cotton reels and the fabrics.