Tuesday 7 October 2008

busy little bee - Free motion machine quilting

Ah another weekend passes us by and for me it was a weekend with quite a lot of difference to the normal...My boys, for the first time ever spent a couple of nights away from me... it was a Lads and Dads kind of a weekend... Now let me tell you this was not an easy thing to do.  As a full time Mom my boys have always been with me except for one night when babe No 1 stayed with a close friend as I delivered babe No 2...so it was a big thing for me.  The funny thing is having spent some time on my own, to go sleep when I wanted and to wake up when my body chose to... to have some free time in the day... well I feel 100% refreshed and I feel a better Mom all round now.  So what did I do to fill the hours...I did what Suzie Sews does best and I sewed... Around me the house shows signs of this activity from the pins in the armchair when I curled on the sofa Saturday evening to bind a quilt, a glass of wine and a movie for company... to the threads that lay in little dust bunnies over the wooden floor (despite brushing it daily).  Yes lots of sewing got done.
After a lovely nights sleep on Friday I went off to my sewing course and this months course was free motion machine quilting, something I have been unable to achieve myself with satisfactory results.  
So I had a go at this...
a little play at that...
I had great fun with this...
and I got plain carried away with this little beach picture including the little fish...
it was fun, challenging and I feel I have just about got the hang of it, enough to have ago now with out fear, I think I just need lots of practise...
Because practise makes perfect, not that I want perfection I am a great believer in Homespun ethics...
Because that is what gives a quilt its character and history, after all if you wanted it perfect you can go into a shop and buy one off the shelf...
I have so enjoyed my journey through all the measurements and detail of learning to quilt, I used to be scared of all the quilting terms which is why I joined the course, and whilst its not my first love, it has taught me so much about sewing, pattern and putting it all together over a period of time to make something that is precious to my family.  Yes I have enjoyed this journey and I look forward to what it will reveal to me next...


The children returned home excited and tired after their adventures and safely into my open arms.

Thank you for the lovely friendship comments (see last post), it warmed my heart and that's not a bad thing as the Autumn chill sets in,  leaves blow across the fields, the lights go on when I get up in the morning and yesterday I defrosted the car (in my summer sandals because I have not given up hope of a few more days of summer)... well I can dream can't I?

20 comments:

Heart in the country said...

Lovely embroidery Suzie, I don't know why you were scared you seem a natural!:-)

pinkgreen said...

I love the embroidery - especially the Echinacea-type flower. What a great way to spend a day. I hope your boys had fun too.
Cathy X

the pesky bombolino said...

I wish I could do free-motion quilting... maybe I'll take a course too, it seems to have worked well for you. Your embroidery is wonderful.

Kitty said...

I am terrified of free motion machining - I so want to have a go, but just daren't! Your work is gorgeous - it's going to be a really lovely quilt. x

sally said...

That is so cool. I absolutely love the idea. Keep sharing as you finish because I am just enjoying it so much.

Modelwidow said...

What a lovely course to go on, and what super results.

It's not easy letting the little ones go, but sometimes a bit of time apart is good for everyone, and the coming back together is wonderful.

sewtakeahike said...

Suzie your FMQ is wonderful!!! I think that it's more endearing when it's not perfect!!!

A time to dance said...

oh how lovely - I really love your quilt its wonderful I would love to be able to do that - but my very old and faithful machine isnt up to such inticate designs - bless it.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh, I love your free motion quilting -- you've done some really pretty stuff. I'd like to learn tha pebble stitch -- I've seen some really pretty quilts done with it.

Joanna said...

Love the embroidary, I have a new sewing machine and thinking of getting a free motion quilting foot it looks fun. Glad you had a nic week end with your boys away.

Linda said...

Gosh Suzie, I love that embroidery, is it hard to do? Time out from children does make us better mothers so I am glad you made great use of the time.

Anonymous said...

your sewing is wonderful, keep it up
lisa x

Sal said...

Must have been lovely to have some freedom and go mad with your sewing machine!! Great stuff!!;-)

Jacoline said...

I love you sewing work it looks great. Hope you enjoyed the time without the boys, I think it is always harder then you think. I love your work, well done.

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

oh i love that embroidery! well done :-) nice to have some alone time every now and again :-)
Lesley x

Hello, I'm Sally. said...

Wow! Wonderful free motion quilting, I love it! And no boys? Wow! Quite time!

Pinkflowerbuttons said...

That looks gorgous. Well done. Its gorgous, I love the colors, borders and squares.

dutchcomfort said...

Your free-motion quilting looks so wonderful!! I’ve done a class too, but never had the courage to try it again...!

Mrs Jelly said...

I'm so glad it's not just me that sticks the pins in the arm of the sofa!

Anonymous said...

That quilt is absolutely fantastic - I totally love that.Well done you!