Wednesday 1 October 2008

Book Club...Autumnal changes

Well its the time of year when I finally have to accept that Autumn is on its way, reluctantly yes, but never the less I am realising that I just can pretend no more, its time to pull on the long sleeves and feel almost claustrophobic with the layers of clothing after the freedom on light linen on my body.  Next week I will revisit the summer with a post of my favourite pictures and memories of the past few month, then I can really move on into the next season.Along with acknowledging the dark mornings and evenings, with the chill in the air that  brings with it the time to hunker down under quilts with a good read.  As you may be aware I am a bookie type of person, I adore books, old, new, story or factual...I do spend most of my spare pennies on books, ideally I like to buy them from small shops, the days of the book shop on the corner street are diminishing rather to quickly for my liking, a place were the shop keeper knows all names of the books they stock off the top of their head, when a cup of tea or coffee is placed into your hand as you parooze the shelves...yes sadly these shops are disappearing fast...instead we have the super bookshops and of course who can not be aware of the amazing savings through Amazon.


This pile of loveliness is my craft book purchases over the last month (I admit to having a pile of novels as well).  There are some great books here, I do sometimes get seduced into a book purely by its cover and when I get round to actually seriously reading the book I have been disappointed, not so with these books, full of inspiration for knitting and sewing alike, the Japanese sewing book is to be rated highly, full of all the projects we see in the adorable (yet pricey) magazines, but the best thing is the instructions and pattern sheets are in English. I gave up trying to work out the instructions from the magazines, sometimes life is just to short for that kind of thing.  It has some super projects in and I can assure you there will be some made here over the coming months.
I love dirt...its a good book, I feel its more aimed for the children to read, my older son loves it, it helps him to have more of a focus in his outdoor play but its nothing new. However its nice to have all the ideas in one place.
The Yarn Harlot need no explanation or description, just cool books that make you smile. 
I also guess most people who sew already own the beautiful Amy Butler Book, lots of adorable baby projects from cuddlies to nappy bags for the new Mommy.
So that's my inspiration pile for October and I am already looking up a few new craft books that are coming out this month...so much inspiration, my shelves are groaning under all of the weight.
Its been a big day today, I put on enclosed shoes and even pulled out my boots...I bought these pumps last week, whilst I do not really want to get back into 'proper' shoes, when they are this 'HAPPY' well maybe I can make the change with a smile on my face...
So with my weekly list of things to do...top of the list was my turn on the rota for church flowers...I thought I would do a pedestal arrangement to celebrate the fabulous colours of Autumn which are now all around us...
As if I needed to prove it anymore that the seasons have changed, this is a photograph of my little one at the weekend, without even knowing it I snuggled him up in a quilt of autumnal colours (backed in Boden Dalmatian baby soft cord)whilst he slept deeply after a day of playing on the beach...




10 comments:

Angel Jem said...

Hello Suzie, I am your Christmas swap partner! Please e-mail me with details and I will e-mail back with mine... love the blog!

Kitty said...

I'm afraid I succumbed to my boots this week, but then I do love my boots! Can't wait to see what you make with all those books for inspiration. x

Anonymous said...

I'm wearing my boots right now!

Summer by the sea said...

I also love books Suzie, novels as well as craft books. Novel wise I am reading 'the girls' by Lori Lansens (highly recommended) and craft wise 'Sew pretty christmas homestyle' (also lots of lovely projects) - Natalie x p.s - lovely flowers and lovely patchwork blanket by the way!

Sarah said...

That's a great pile o books - perfect for snuggly evenings.

Pinkflowerbuttons said...

I love books that encourage people to get into the earth, re I love dirt. That sounds like an interesting book.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous quilt...and I know what you mean about shoes. I wore my sandals today and got very cold, wet feet so I think I shall have give in and start wearing shoes.
Margaret and Noreen

Anonymous said...

This is probably not the right time to rub in the fact that we are enjoying the beautiful warmth of Spring over here!! Love your post. The shoes are great and what a darling photo of your little man under that quilt - priceless!!!

Linda said...

I love books, yours look great! The wrapped up sleeper looks so cosy.

Angela said...

Wonderful flower arrangement! I have to arrange some flowers for a funeral next week, and the family havce asked for bright colours.Your pedestal arrangement has really inspired me. thanks!
blessings, Angela x