Tuesday 12 January 2010

Work in progress...

So things are getting done around here, quietly and almost organically. Slowly, slowly throughout the day the sewing and knitting and even a little bit of hooking are creeping into all the areas of my day, just a few minutes here and there. Instead of rushing around and worrying about things I have no control over, that time is being replaced by something constructive, tactile and most of all calming... the joy of making things...
The winter warmer jacket is on its way and I am loving the colour of the yarn, its a nice easy knit and quick too. As I sit for a few minutes amongst the chaos of toys and laundry waiting to be done, I cross my legs and knit a couple of rows...
When the chores are done and the children are snuggled up fast asleep at the end of their day, I creep happily into my sewing room with a tray of tea and play...
Felt and buttons, just small happy little object of fun and colour, to chase away the winter blues...
The quilt has now been quilted (folded to show back and front). I whizzed through this in a few hours, methodical and almost hypnotic, straight quilted lines in opposite direction of the jelly roll quilt fabric. Creative Mom Podcast on the ipod to keep me company, how I love this women's voice and her choice of music always sits well with me. If you have not listened to here before I really recommend you do. Little sound bites from here children is a lovely personal touch and remind me of my own two boys.
So today is housework day, laundry, changing the sheets and generally putting stuff in its rightful place...Later this afternoon before the school run, its an hour in the kitchen making another batch of cakes, I have my eye on a banana, chocolate and crystallised ginger cake recipe I would like to try. I even bought old bananas (35p for 10) at the supermarket as bananas don't sit around much in this house, so to make banana cakes sounds like a good idea to me...it also means a chance to warm up in the kitchen, trying not to put the heating on in the day but its sooooooooooo chilly just now.


I love the time when the children come home from school, its a precious time that if you blink its gone, a few minutes when my little family sit around the kitchen table, with milk and cookies or some other homemade treat to keep the babes (and me) going till supper time. Its the time to chat about the day and plan the evening before they rush off to play.

Have a great day what ever you are up to.

13 comments:

Tina said...

Love your heartfelt post. Really a sweet way to describe your daily life with your kids.
Your crafts are really beautiful.
xx

Amanda Makes said...

It all sounds gorgeous Suzie. You've made me feel all cozy. Enjoy. Love, Amanda xxx

Elissa said...

oh, i am coveting that big, chunky yarn. would love to see it in its finished state. i am such a novice with knitting, but am so inspired by seeing what others can do! and, may i ask, is that a brother sewing machine? if so, are you happy with it? i am looking to update my machine and am happy for feedback from anyone with sewing skills. love those quilts!

Sal said...

You're right about the 'coming home from school time'.
Mine used to love it if I had baked!
Another warm and comforting post, Suzie!
xxx

Linda said...

Lovely looking knitting, can't wait to see it finished.

French Knots said...

Love the quilt! Home really is the best place in the world when it's filled with love and baking.xx

Caroline said...

Couldn't agree more about home time - it's a great time isn't it? love the look of the cosy winter jacket- if you are managing to survive the day without putting the heating on you'll be wanting to put it on soon I should think! I also spend a lot of time baking when it's chilly, just to have somewhere warm to stand!

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, oooh oooh! {jumping up and down} I want to see that sweater! It looks like it's going to be very cool -- it reminds me of the hats my niece and I just knit in December!

Unknown said...

I love that time of day with my kids too , it is special .

Yogihan said...

Thanks for the comment, what a lovely blog you have. I love your quilt (jelly rolls are great!), and the flowers you make too.
x

Kitty said...

Banana cake always goes down well in our house too. Good to see you getting the creative urge(s) back again, and enjoying it.

Take care. xx

Tracy said...

GORGEOUS creating, Suzie... I'm in awe of all your making, getting done and just doing! I always feel so cosy and warm visiting here... *sigh*... Happy Days :o9 ((HUGS))

Amanda Makes said...

Hi Suzie,
So sorry to hear you#ve been struck by the lurgey too! Get well soon!Big hugs, Amanda xxx