Tuesday 14 October 2008

Accepting Autumn...

Accepting Autumn...

... Yes I have finally given in and actually admitted that the summer is at an end.  Whilst this saddens me it also gives me the freedom to go ahead and enjoy the next season...I look around me with a different view point now, just how could I have denied all the lovely things that Autumn brings us.  So with a weekend away we spent our time outside...the smell of the last mowed grass of the season...
The clear air and the special light that seems to be around at this time of year...
Walking through orchards, the crisp fallen leaves crunching under foot...
The final stages of harvesting just before the bales get all wrapped up like big sweeties for the winter feed...
Even the time on the beach this weekend felt different, the air was milky and without the warmth from the sun we pulled on our sweaters and walked for miles along the sea edge...
Splashing in the streams leading out to the sea...
Yes the beach had a whole different feeling to it, gone are the long days nesting in our little pod with sun cream and ice cream, the boys in the sea waiting till the tourist had all gone home so we could light a fire and watch the the evening light change.  No this time we just walked and walked, a little beach combing and some egg searching...
Egg searching...
Seriously...
The boys favorite story of this year was the Water Horse, so now inspired by this story and film we have a fine collection of eggs that need to be looked after with care...
and if we are lucky we might have a little sea creature of our own...
Or as my eldest one hopes... our very own dinosaur... May be I should curb their imagination and remove the stones (I mean eggs) from under their pillows so they keep warm, then again would you not love to have that time again when your imagination really does cross over into reality and everything is possible...

Yes Autumn is here and I have to admit that I am enjoying the season...

19 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely post Suzie - not familiar with that story but just love the idea of incubating those 'eggs' under their pillows - enjoy this time as long as you can - soon enough they'll graduate to the cynical teenagers like mine who are delightful but in another different altogether more worldly fashion

Things Hand Made said...

We had a lovely weekedn here which made me want to celebrate autumn! Lovely pictures

tess said...

it sounds like a delightful acceptance of autumn, and I'm enchanted by the egg incubation!

Heart in the country said...

Autumn is my favourite season, there is always a surprise to be had, one day it is brilliant sunshine and the next everything is covered with a lovely crisp frost - Wonderful.

K

Sarah said...

Lovely pictures :o)

I really enjoy the special light there is in autumn, mellow and gentle.

Kitty said...

I don't know about you, but for me the colours this autumn are particularly stunning. I guess all those leaves enjoyed the 'lousy' summer we had?!

A friend and I were just stood this morning admiring the trees. They are so amazing.

Lovely post. x

quiltdude said...

Stunning photo's.
Want to know more about the eggs, who wrote the story? I need tor ead it too.
X Clare

April said...

Lovely post and beautiful photos

April xx

Ragged Roses said...

Fingers crossed for that dinosaur! What a beautiful post and photos, the beach is beautiful at any time of the year isn't it?
Kimx

Tracy said...

Exceptionally lovely photos, Suzie! I know how you feel though...Come August I'm longing for summer to last forever and ever...September's melancholy and nostalgic give way to October's golden hours and once again I'm beguiled by autumn...Each season has it's glories. Have fun getting reacquainted with autumn. Happy Days to you all ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos again!

Perhaps your were a photographer in another life...they really are stunning.

dottycookie said...

Lovely photos, Suzie! Now that autumn really is definitely here and there's no chance of a return to summer it is rather a relief to light the fire and snuggle up with woolly socks and scarves. Bring it on!

Anonymous said...

I love the colours of Autumn, I'd like to hear more about the eggs too
Lisa x

nlhowlett said...

I am quite enjoying the onset of Autumn too Suzie, and I love to walk on our beach at this time of year when all the tourists have gone home - Natalie x

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to have clear crisp autumn days
xx

Lazylol said...

thanks for making me get get my blogging act together x
Your pictures are gorgeous - they make me want to go to the beach.
I love the start of each season, especially autumn.

Anonymous said...

So much to enjoy about autumn...love your photos...they really capture the season.
Margaret and Noreen

Anonymous said...

What a great post and fabulous photos - sounds like a lovely weekend and while you accept Autumn I am accepting spring (with open arms, hee-hee!)
And oh, yes, to have that imagination again, dont you wish you could bottle it?

The Downtown Boutique said...

What a beautiful post! I love Autumn and the things it brings...coolness, crisp clean air, gorgeous colors, tantalizing smells, and wonderfully magical sunlight!

I love the little "eggs". We have yet to see the movie, but some day...