Wednesday 27 February 2008

The earth moved...

OK so last night was a little creepy...I had had a bad night's sleep the previous night and at the children's bedtime I feel asleep in a big cuddle with my youngest...I awoke around 10ish and went downstairs to tidy up the toys. I sat for a while in the quite and got engrossed in a little silly sewing. You know me by now, silly sewing to me is totally useless little objects made 'just because'...When I next looked at the clock it was gone midnight. So I made a cup of camomile tea and headed up to the cosiness of my bed (pre-warmed by my heated blanket)!!! I turned off the light and snuggled down and felt that lovely relaxed state wash over me and I started to drift into dream land...Only to be pulled out of it by two odd noises and before I could register what it was the whole house quivered loudly...for a moment I was paralysed with fear...but then in an instant it was action stations, I sprung out of bed and checked on the children only to find them totally oblivious in their slumber. I looked down the hill and saw a neighbours light on with them also peeping through their curtains...Now I was wide awake and totally unable to sleep...
I contemplated carrying the babes to my bed, but I ended up staying awake till three-ish filling my stupid head with all sorts of stories from aliens landing to bombs falling etc...eventually I fell asleep only waking to hearing my youngest screaming...Panic again ran through me and when I looked at my little babe he had a nose bleed and he was upset as it had messed up his bed...Panic over, babe comforted and back to bed I went...
I was pulled sleepily out of my bed this morning by two lively babes 'Get up Mommy'...so I staggered downstairs and put the news on to see if there was any solution to 'things that go bump in the night' Yes we had had an earthquake, a big one by our standards bearing in mind the last one was over twenty years ago...So no aliens no bombs just an over active imagination of someone who was left standing in her kitchen trying to wake herself with a coffee and feeling pretty silly...
So on to the making...the silly sewing bug hit hard and I rummaged through my felt box and using my cheap felt I made a couple of eggs for the Easter Egg Tree...my children did not think they resembled eggs at all so I got out the good stuff...my much sort after wool felt and I prepared a little tray of hand sewing to keep me busy for a few hours...the results are much more pleasing...I wanted to be a bit more creative than just egg shapes so I pulled out an old copy of Homespun, I love this magazine it has such lovely stuff and is very inspiring...Unlike me, I copied the ideas pretty much to the directions, usually I go off in all sorts of tangents so I make the design very much my style...but when something works...why change it...the wool felt made all the difference, they do look homespun which only adds to their charm...
I still have a few more key rings to make to finish a small order so I am doing a few off each (keyring 'n' eggs) and really enjoying it, felt is so lovely to work with. As for today I have been busy decorating cakes as we have some children over for supper tonight and I was requested by my youngest to make some tasty treats...

Just for the fun of it the last picture is a corner of my home, right above my sewing machine in my sewing room...

16 comments:

Kitty said...

Well apparently folk felt it down here too, but I didn't. I slept through the whole thing ... dammit, it would have been the first time the earth moved for me in a VEEERRRRY long time ;-)

Those cakes look fabulous - I made shortbreads and chocolate caramel krispies this morning - we have extra children back too later.

x

Lucykate Crafts... said...

last night was freaky wasn't it?. our wardrobe doors opened and shut, making me shoot out of bed, scared!, we though at first it had been an airplane crash (we live quite close to an raf base). luke slept through it but lucy was terrified and hid in tears under her duvet poor thing, so she came into our bed.

early night all round tonight i think!, love those felty easter crafts : )

Locket Pocket said...

I didn't sleep well last night which is very unusual and woke a few times but I don't think I noticed the earthquake although apparently people felt it up here too.

I've got that edition of Homespun so I ought to get some eggs made too!

Sal said...

I was watching the news about this, earlier.
I think we escaped it here in Devon.The earth didn't move for me anyway ;-)
I love all the bits that you create! Sal;-)

Anonymous said...

I read about the earthquake on a newsfeed and I was wondering if it was in your area. I always wish they could warn you about such things, because then, maybe it could have been fun, instead of frightening.

Mrs Moog said...

We missed it too but a friend of mine heard the loud rumbling that so many have spoken of. It must have been very scary for you. I'm glad the little ones slept through!

The easter eggs look lovely. Some gentle hand sewing sounds like just the thing after a bad night.

Your cakes look very yummy - hope you have a fun time eating them!!

xx

bettyninja said...

You were quite busy even though you had such little sleep and an earthquake. Neat idea with the felt eggs. Those cupcakes are making me so hungry for lunch I tell ya.

French Knots said...

I slept right through it , which is good really as Mr FK is away at the moment!
Love the eggs, not heard of Homespun but it's a good reason to nip into Smiths.

Anonymous said...

i told my kiddies about your earthquake and my son was quite jealous, then asked if you are going to have a volcano too!! I reasurred him that it was rather unlikely - i think he wanted to tick one off on his list of unusual natural phenomenon!
love all your crafty bits and the yummy looking cakes too.
Caroline xx

Thimbleanna said...

Gosh, I'll bet you were tired today! Those cupcakes look Yummy!!!

Sarah said...

What a night! Love the eggs and buns though - creativity even through tiredness :o)

Anonymous said...

beautiful!

Linda said...

I wouldn't have slept either. We felt nothing down here. I love your little sewing, pretty colours.

tess said...

love your easter lovelys, and I'm so impressed that you've made cakes for the freezer in case of visitors!

Ragged Roses said...

I can't imagine how I would feel if I'd have been woken up by an earthquake, although I do know the first thing I would have done, like you, was to run in to the children. Love your Easter goodies, something strange in the ether, I've just posted photos of green cotton spools too! Take care
Kimx

weirdbunny said...

ONly North Wales felt the earthquake,not us down in the south of Wales. I love those felt eggs your making . I did our Easter tree on Saturday night, slightly early i know, but I love Easter more than Christmas.