Wednesday 16 May 2007

A good day

What is it that makes me grumpy? What is it that soothes me when I am moody? The need to play, the need to create. I Just get twitchy when I am not making something. Its like every day I have to feel I have made something, be it a big project or just a little thing. Yesterday was a good day... Google has been down so I was unable to blog...Ek! Calm down Suzie calm down Suzie...So I went into my sewing room room and looked at which project I should work on. Ah! the trousers for my wee man. There is a reason I felt this was THE project. Its a friends pattern, my friend that moved away in January, well she let me have the pattern until she was settled as with moving and a new baby on the way, I guess she knew she would not get much sewing done. This is such a great pattern, between the two of us we have used it for so many things. Simplicity 5807.
It has a cape sort of coat pattern on the front of the sleeve, but we have used it to make towelling robes for all our children, they are so cute and great for the beach and much cheaper than the ones you see in children's designer style catalogues.
Anyway as her new arrival is sleeping like a dream and generally fitting in with the family, at the moment they have seven people in the house! I guess she feels ready to get her beloved sewing machine into action. So the pattern needs to be put in the post. With this in mind I needed to get on with the trousers. I selected the fabric, I love this, is really funky fabric and suits a little long haired curly topped boy. Its from my local patchwork shop, I bought what was left in the bargain area. Just enough for me to make a pair of trousers and maybe patch a pocket on a plain white Tee to finish the out fit off. I have a little left over which will go in my patchwork 'BITS' box.
So what do you think? I was going to bind them at the bottom with some blue bias tape, as I had made them a little longer than needed I made a large double hem which not only looks kind of cool, but helps them to hang well so I left the bias off. I tried them on him at various stages 'Mommy they too big' and 'Mommy not pins' to 'Mommy they fit, my cool trousers' and ending with 'Mommy are they PJ's'
Once at the right size, they would not be taken off his little body, so after a bit serious crafting we even wore them to pick up his big brother from school, he went running around the school yard shouting 'Mommy made these' Ah how to make you feel really special...
I leave you with the kitchen table, we are on a bit of a Charlie and Lola frenzy at the moment. I will share with you tomorrow why...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What cool trousers!! They look fab and as for the gratitude - what more could you want than that? Bet that made you feel like Supermum!

AC said...

They look really good especially with such a cool model!
Alison x

Anonymous said...

What a cool dude in his funky trousers! Love the fabric.

Anonymous said...

So cute! What a dear little model he is!

blueberry hill said...

Hey - great trousers! I just discovered your blog this evening so have been having a little read. Love the pics of your rabbit!!

Annie x

andsewtosleep said...

Well...cool trousers for a cool dude. Lovely fabric. What will you make from the leftovers? Mary