Thursday 26 November 2009

Can you hear it....

Can you hear it?


Can you feel it?

Its on its way... soon you will have that giddy feeling in your tummy, the winter will take on a romantic slant, it will be all about cosy nights around the fire, quilts over the knees, twinkling lights, hot chocolate with marshmallows or rich warming mulled wine in the local pub after a walk over the moors, all with the soundtrack of carols and Christmas songs from many years each one bringing you memories of time gone by.
OH my word, yes I am feeling Christmassy, it just kinda snuck up on me, suddenly it was November a grey miserable month for me personally, it marks the end of outdoor play, time on the beach and just being outside. November holds some unpleasant memories for me. So one minute I was looking out of my kitchen window to my view over the hills, watching the clouds racing across the sky bringing with them so much rain, feeling sad inside and desperate for brighter days. The next minute I am in my sewing room, going through my Christmas craft books and sewing in red, white and green fabric... MAKING ME SMILE!!!
Today I started the Christmas baking, the rich warming smells of cinnamon and spice, the warmth from the cooker chases away the blues, and the Christmas cake finally gets started...
The fruits steeps in brandy,I treat my boys to Christmas ham for supper (Nigella's Ham in Coke) and of course all the baking calls for the thick, runny jewel coloured delights of syrup and treacle...
Oh yes the tasty treats of Christmas are just warming the heart of my home right now...
Happy Thanksgiving to those of you who celebrate it. I heard on the radio today a debate about the British adopting the day, it was described as Christmas without the stress of presents a day to count your blessings. I believe in our crafty blogging community we have the gift of counting our blessing anyway, but a day to think and share it with those we love, a day with food and tradition...yes Happy Thanksgiving.

8 comments:

dottycookie said...

I'm feeling Christmassy too - but in a lovely way, not a hugely stressed horrid way. We've a busy few weeks ahead but we're planning fun things to do; and I think the build up is often better than the day itself anyway!

ginny said...

Happy Thanksgiving Suzie!
a lovely post...you have described the 'romantic' warmth of this festive season so well... i too am really looking forward to it now... and can't wait till i am allowed to put on my Christmas tunes!
have a happy weekend.
warmest wishes
ginny
x

Gina said...

I'm starting to feel Christmassy too but I like the idea of a Thanksgiving celebration. The family, the food but none of the presents... perfect!

Locket Pocket said...

Oh crumbs! I'm not feeling christmassy yet at all! Hope I start to get the vibe soon!!!

Lucyx

Jane said...

The Christmas spirit is sneaking about and catching us I think! We spent today Christmas shopping which was lovely so now i feel almost ready for the next step - Christmas cards! Happy Thanksgiving Suzie and everyone else. Jane x

Anna said...

Thanks for this lovely post. I've just been feeling stressed about it recently - it's good to be reminded of all the excitement too!

Mrs Moog said...

Oh I love those Christmas baking smells. I'm beginning to feel the stirrings of the Christmas spirit - especially now I've put up the advent calendar and done a bit of shopping.

All I need now is an extra month or an extra me, to get everything done!

xxx

Natasha said...

"...of course all the baking calls for the thick, runny jewel coloured delights of syrup and treacle..." I do not even know what treacle is but your discription made me want have some!

What a fun post- thank you for that.