Monday 23 February 2009

Do you have a place....

Do you have a place?  A place in your mind, a place that you can easily slip off to.  A place that nurtures your soul when times are hard, a place you can go to when the world gets a little too much, a happy place filled with warmth, or simply a place that your mind drifts off to when fall asleep.My happy place for the last decade has been a moment in my life, a happy moment, I remember actually picking the place, taking in the sights, sounds and smells of that moment.  I knew it would stay with me for a while.  


I was sat late on a summers afternoon (September 1996), just before the evening drew near, I could feel the suns rays kissing my skin, my feet dipping and swishing in the cooling swimming pool water, I was sat under a palm tree, the sound of the sea right behind me filled the air, I looked at a beautiful old plantation styled house, no one else was around me except for a fellow traveller reading quietly under the protective shade of a tree... yes this was my place and over the last decade I have visited it in my head many many times.

NOT ANYMORE... I have a new place and maybe after over ten years its time for a change.  My week away with the children was amazing, it was filled with laughter, walks, seaside, sharing food, long conversations and swimming, but most of all just relaxing with the two most important people in the world to me... my guys. One early evening we were driving back from a day of 'doing and seeing' we diverted off the track a little to check out a pretty place... we watched the sky change right there before our eyes.  We abandoned the car on a dirt track and ran up the hill... three pairs of eyes watched in silence as the sky played out its mystery to us. Never in my life have I seen such a sight, this marshmallow sky put on such a display of colour it touched our very souls.  I looked at my children's faces and I knew they shared this moment with me.

Yes I have a place, a special place filled with  the beauty of nature, a place to remind me of 'The Big Picture' and no matter were I am in life or what I am doing or feeling, there is beauty and love all around...

   

9 comments:

Kitty said...

Wow! Did you take that picture? It's amazing. Nature treats us to such wonderful sights, doesn't she? x

Anonymous said...

i dont have a place, i think i need one though...

sadie said...

yes, I have a place. I think every busy mum needs one. Thanks for sharing yours.

:O)

sadie

Jacoline said...

What a great story, my place is the beach. happy the hear you had a great time with your boys. Good to see you back!

Unknown said...

Thank you for reminding me to look at The Big Picture!

Jane said...

I love your sunset picture it is stunning, my favourite place/daydream is as a little girl with my Gran. Jane x

JuliaB said...

Oh yes, having an inner 'grove' is essential for sanity! Mine is in a forest. x

Anonymous said...

Hi buddy ...
Mine is the meadow near Mum and Dad's in the evening in the summer and the birds are twittering ready for dusk...
luv K xxx
(Think I'm about 16....hmmm maybe time for a change this end as well :P ) !!!!
Gorgeous pic Suz...

dutchcomfort said...

Your special place looks wonderful!

My special place is my local quiltshop. When everything gets a bit too much, I know I’m welcome there to drink a cup of tea and to inhale the fabrics. I call it my Zen-moment!